Bucket Ball is one kind of fun fielding drill that gives kids catching practice at ground levels at the same time it keeps kids motivated and interested in baseball game. In this you have to choose two captains and from those two, pick one-one for both the sides from your teams.
You have to arrange 5 gallon buckets or two milk crates. Generally one bucket can be placed on the ground with couple of feet down from first base line and home plate; the other should be kept down to the third base line.
One group of the kids should stand on first base, the other team to the third base.
Rules are given below for the game:
- No throw can be allowed directly into the bucket on the fly.
- The ball has to be thrown in the bucket with 2 to 4 hop.
- Before the player throes ball back, he must catch the ball.
- No rolling or bowling of the ball on the ground is allowed to the bucket.
- Groups can be switched base for the second round of the game.
- If the first team get 5 in to the bucket then they wins the first round.
- The first throw must be made from third base or first base. No running throw is allowed.
Generally this drill is used to teach kids to get not to hold a ball just get rid of the ball. Sometimes kids are getting confused and they just hold the ball with them. This is a great drill for all players except for those who plan to play catcher. If you are interested in playing catcher, this article may help you out.